Bureau of K-12 Assessment
|Text Index||Custom Search|
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
About UsThe Bureau of K-12 Assessment is responsible for all aspects of Florida's K-12 statewide student assessment programs, including developing, administering, scoring, and reporting the results for the Florida Standards Assessment and FCAT 2.0 program, as well as assisting with the administration and reporting of several other K-12 student assessment programs. Services are provided both by Florida Department of Education (FDOE) staff and through various contracts with assessment vendors. The primary goal of these assessments is to provide information about student learning in Florida, as required by Florida law (see Section 1008.22, Florida Statutes).
Florida's K-12 Statewide Assessment ProgramTo learn about the individual K-12 assessments offered in Florida, visit the links below:
- Florida Standards Assessments: The Florida Standards Assessments, which measure student success with the Florida Standards, include assessments in English language arts (grades 3-11), mathematics (grades 3-8), and end-of-course assessments for Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2.
- FCAT 2.0: The Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test® 2.0, which measures student success with the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards, includes assessments in science (grades 5 and 8) in the 2014-15 school year.
- Florida EOC Assessments: The Florida End-of-Course Assessments are computer-based tests designed to measure student achievement of the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards for specific middle- and high-school level courses in science (Biology 1) and social studies (Civics and U.S. History), as outlined in their course descriptions. The Algebra 1 EOC aligned to the NGSSS will be administered for students with this requirement who have not yet passed the assessment.
- National and International Criterion-Referenced Surveys (NAEP, PIRLS, PISA, and TIMSS): National and state assessments enable us to know how well students are doing in a variety of subjects at different ages and grade levels. International assessments allow us the unique opportunity to benchmark our students' performance to the performance of students in other countries. Florida participates in several national (NAEP) and international (PIRLS, PISA, TIMSS) criterion-referenced surveys.
- FCAT: The Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test® measured student success with the Sunshine State Standards. Historically, the FCAT measured the Sunshine State Standards in reading and mathematics (grades 3-10), science (grades 5, 8, and 11), and writing (grades 4, 8, and 10).